Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You Are Special!


I love this book. It has such a great message. I read this book to the kids the other night and they really enjoyed it. It was so sweet to see their little faces as they listened and asked questions. I think that they are at such an important age in their lives when their self esteem is tender and they really listen to what people say. I feel a big responsibility to make sure they know that they are special and that it doesn't matter what others may say or think, even though it may hurt them, but that they have a mom & dad that loves them and thinks they are perfect the way they are and a Father in heaven who loves them so much. Even though they are still little, they understand a lot, and I hope I can instill in them things that will help them throughout their lives. Being a mother can be overwhelming and I really loved Elder Ballards talk on Sunday about Motherhood. It was really touching and exactly what I needed to hear. I loved how he talked about how there are moments of great joy amidst the hard, tiring moments. I am very grateful to be a mother and can't think of anything better that I would want to be doing right now but being home with my babies. They teach me so much and make me laugh my head off.


I also wanted to share a special memory of President Monson. When I was 19 years old, my dad was teaching at BYU and I had the opportunity to go with him to a dinner at the Wilkinson Center. President Hinckley and his counselors were there and their wives. I was in the hall when the Prophet and his counselors walked off the elevator and it was such a sweet feeling, standing there, seeing the Prophet. It gives me the chills thinking about it. As I stood there, Pres. Monson was greeting people and it was my turn. He took my face in his hands and said, "You look like a Scandinavian girl." I said, "Yes, my mom's family is from Denmark." He said, "I love Scandinavian girls. My Francis (his wife) is Scandinavian." He also commented on how much he liked my freckles. He is such a neat man and I am grateful to be alive while he is the Prophet.

5 comments:

Keli and Mike said...

Oh I love that book, it is so cute. I am also grateful for Elder Ballard's talk. I think we all need a little encouragement at times!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ang said...

Jules, Your blog is amazing. The tent looks so fun!! And I remember Ry telling me about when you "ran into" Pres. Monson. That is such a neat experience. Thanks for sharing so many neat things about your life and your thoughts on here. I feel like I am getting to know you better. Tell everyone hi. We love you all and miss you to pieces.
Oh...and I loved Elder Ballard's talk, too...talk about perfect timing!
love you!

Che Butter said...

You are such a cute mom! The artwork on that book creeps me out.

Jill Johnson said...

Hey julie is that kirk and katie, Katie from the neighborhood? My mind is blank on her last name (Thomas?)! I would love to look at her blog if it is but it is private!