We hosted Thanksgiving at our house this year. In years past we have gone to our friends the Hall's house but they moved back to the USA just before Halloween so we decided to carry the torch this year. We had 18 people and it was fun to be together to celebrate Thanksgiving.
***
So the title of my post...let me explain. So....I have watched my mom and father in-law prepare a turkey and cook it a dozen times but I have never actually cooked on myself. Let me tell ya I was a little freaked out by it all because you always hear about turkeys coming out dry or gross, so i didn't want to be serving a dry or gross turkey. Well, I found a nice looking turkey at Costco {i love you Costco dear} for $49.00 for a 14 pounder . That was another reason why I didn't want to mess it up, it wasn't cheap. So we were skyping with a good friend Matt and he was telling us about a brine be uses to soak the turkey. So I tried it, soaked it over night and made a yummy spice rub to fill it with in the morning. Next morning I finished preparing it and popped it in the oven and crossed my fingers. It cooked and cooked and when I brought it out it actually looked delicious! Everyone said it was yum. So...I feel like I am officially a mother now because I cooked my first Thanksgiving turkey. Everyone was laughing and saying are you sure it's not that you have 4 kids that makes you a true mother...Nope, it's the turkey. :) hahaha...Anyway, I was pretty proud of myself.
This was the kiddie table. When I was little I was at the kiddie table until I was I swear 20 years old. There were just a lot of adults ahead of me so I had to wait my turn. :)
This is where the adults ate, just in the other room.
I made them little packets to color and play with at the table.
This wasn't the entire spread but part of it....SO YUMMY!
Most of the group. Baron is taking the picture. Just as we were taking the photo Lucy came strolling down the hall in her bathrobe. We couldn't figure out why she changed from her cute clothes to her bathrobe. Maybe she just wanted to feel completely comfy for the feast. She didn't want to be in the photo.
Oh my, I totally want to eat this plate of goodness right now. {birds eye view}
side view
Jack was playing peek-a-boo with Gemma
Lucy decided to get back in her clothes and added a nice hat.
We had a fun time talking and laughing and enjoying Thanksgiving together. Of course we were all stuffed beyond belief but we had to end with pie...lots and lots of good pie. We hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I have a gratitude post brewing in my head so I will post that soon. :)











2 comments:
Hey, I cooked my first turkey too! I don't have FOUR kids, but it was a HUGE accomplishment for me as well! Now I can say "I've graduated college, traveled the world and cooked a turkey!" ;) Yours looks amazing!!! Good job! Miss you tons and tons!
Oh my gosh, that food all looks SO good!! I totally know what you mean about the mom thing. I said the same thing when I made my first turkey last year - which doesn't even make sense as I have no actual children...but whatever. :) Way to go - looks like everything turned out perfectly!
Post a Comment