Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vivid Sydney 2012

Once again it's Vivid in Sydney time.  It rolls around at the end of May every year and goes until the middle of June.  It's our 3rd year going.  We bundle up and venture into the city to see some amazing lights.  In years past we have gone on a weekday and haven't had a problem finding parking and walking around.  This year we had the brilliant idea to go on a Friday night on the last weekend it was running.  Yep, genius!  I drove into the city with the kids and stopped to pick Jared up but not before we spent a good chunk of time sitting in traffic.  Once we found parking we headed in to find some dinner.  Originally we had planned to meet our friends the Riley's for dinner at Pancakes on the Rocks but the had to cancel last minute because one of their kids was sick.  Well lil Miss Lu had her heart set on a caterpillar pancake with ice cream on top and she was NOT thrilled at all that we decided to not wait in line to be seated at p on the rocks and decided to hit McDonald's.  {I don't know many kids that would chuck a fit about going to McDonald's but she had a disappointed heart, big time.}
McDonald's was PACKED!  Like people everywhere, chaos, lines everywhere that didn't make sense. {it was a small Mcd, no room for a stroller just people smashed together} Jared stayed outside with the stroller and the kids while I took Lucy in with me to order so that she wouldn't run off.  She was beside herself at this point sobbing, "I want pancakes, I want pancakes" and it was getting progressively louder and more fiesty the longer we waited.  Of course I picked the wrong line, all the 500 layers I put on to stay warm were starting to make me so hot, I was hungry and Lucy was having a tantrum.  With 2 people in front of me I had had enough.  I told the woman behind me, who was so nice and gave me those sympathetic looks like all mothers do when they see a child melting down because they too have been there, & I said I would be right back.  I marched out side with Lucy's hand in mine, she is wailing, and without a word I hand her off to Jared.  Jack was screaming in the stroller because he wanted out, so you can imagine the lovely scene when I added Lucy.  We were like a show of our own.
I finally got the food and sat out on bench and Lucy takes off, running down the sidewalk, it's packed, she is mad and I am about to loose it.  I take off running after her and she is yelling for me to go away.  I finally catch up to her, almost trip trying to grab her coat, everyone is starring and she lays down on the floor.  Seriously!?! I picked her up and hauled her back to the bench and she cried about her pancakes a little more.  By then my blood sugar level is low, Jared is begging me to eat something so that I would feel better. Lucy finally stopped crying and took a sip of orange juice and she perked up, I think her bsl was low too.  She was just not herself that night. After a few minutes we were all calmed down, people started to stop watching the Finch family show and we started to walk to meet a couple of families who were meeting us there.
{That night Lucy woke up screaming that her ears were hurting so the next morning I took her into the Dr. and she had a double ear infection.  I think that may have been part of the reason why she had the biggest meltdown of 2012 thus far.Poor girl!!}


                                                      Anyway....the rest of the night was great! :)

This is one of my favorite pictures of Jared & Jack.  So cute!

Liv bundled up.

Lucy and Jack sharing the stroller.  So happy to see Lucy smiling.

So...Vivid is a light show in Circular Quay and around that area and into the Rocks area.  

This is a view of some of the light displays they had going on.  They even had a giant head coming out of the ocean, which was a little creepy.

Love my cute boys.

Here we are with the Colvin family in the elevator on our way up to see a better view.

They had a giant tick tack toe board you could play on.

I didn't take this picture but it shows you what cool things they had on display.  This year wasn't as great as last year but we still had a great time.

Every minute or so a different light display would pop up on the opera house.  Pretty cool.

Here is a video of the Customs House where they put on a light show that is amazing. 


                                               We will see what they come up with next year.

3 comments:

Haley and Lance (but probably just Haley) said...

Wow, that looks so, so cool! I love any type of light show, and what a cool spot to have one! Way to hang in there through the meltdown - that's the worst! Aren't you grateful for nice people who give you that little look of understanding? Such a help. :)

Mom Schill said...

I have fond memories of going to the light show in Sydney. It was a magical evening. I especially loved seeing the opera house change colors and patterns. I still have the flashlights that were handed out. I use them and they always light up. Wow! Lucy had quite the meltdown! Food is important to keep us in good moods.

Amelia Hohl said...

Wow, that looks really fun. It's so funny it's winter there right now. Are you guys coming back to Utah anytime in the next year or so? We're here to stay, so let me know when you're coming. I'm just catching up on everyone's life that flew by these last 3 months! Whew!