We really love having our families visit us. My brother Jeff and sis in-law Ashley and nephew Jamisen were here for the last two weeks!! I know how long that flight is, especially with kiddos, so we are really grateful they made the trip over. The time always goes in a flash...but we are happy we had two full weeks with them showing them around our hood. :)
We spent plenty of days walking around and exploring downtown Sydney. I pretty much stink when it comes to directions...I gave them several not planned driving tours around the city as I tried to find spots to park...it almost became funny as I would take a wrong turn or go down a road or car park and then have to flip the car in reverse. We did a few trip to the city while the kids were at school and Jared was at work....so I was on my own to be the tour guide...kinda scary when it comes to directions....I have to go a certain place a gazillion times before I remember how to get there. Jared is a champ when it comes to tour guiding and directions..I think I'll hire him :).
We had to stop at the Gelatissimo stand for some gelato in Daring Harbour.
oh and of course a quick stop at the Lindt Chocolate Cafe.
We took a ferry out to Watson's Bay...Jeff & Ashley took the hike up to the beautiful lookout while I stayed at the bottom with the kids and strollers. It is whale watching season so Lucy & I were looking for whales...we didn't see one, but I got some good pondering in...the ocean does that to you...I love it.
There is a delicious Fish-n-Chip shop at Watson's Bay...the sea gulls were surrounding us doing some "mine, mine" action...finally Lucy gave in and threw a fry to them...there was a full on battle happening right before us.
Some of the highlights from their trip were:
*going to Parklea Market on the look out for the perfect pair of Uggs for Ashley and finding other Australian souvenirs to take home.
*We went to Manly beach and decided to try a new burger place there called Burger Me.....ummm, Gag Me is more like it. The burgers had a funky shape and they were purple. We all tried choking it down and didn't talk about how gross it was until we were on our way home...we all kept having scary flashback.....grossest burger yet! (And it was Ashley's bday...bummer bday lunch)
*Loved all the sights in the city...Opera House, Botanical Gardens, Pancakes on the Rocks, Ferry rides, Circular Quay and Darling Harbour.
*Driving out to the Blue Mountains. Jared and Jeff went on a beautiful hike with a friend and we picked them up later and went on a beautiful drive.
*A few occasions when we all crammed in the car...naughty...I know. That was an adventure.
*Featherdale Wildlife Park...Rex hopped off the path to see a rooster...rooster didn't like it...rooster let Rex know by flapping his wings, jumping on his head, scratching his face and pecking his forehead. I didn't see it, but everyone else said that it would have won the grand prize on America's Funniest Home videos. Poor kid!
*We took a 3 day trip 3 hrs. south to Jervis Bay. I had booked a cabin in a place called Sussex Inlet. We didn't realize until we got there that the last half hour is spent on a bumpy dirt road surrounded in bush and kangaroos hopping by your car. It was incredible and the only way to the place we were staying. We were the only people staying there. The beaches were gorgeous, we went kayaking and had kangaroos visit us at our cabin door. (one more Rex story...Rex thought the sliding door was open and went charging into it...smacked it...sliced his lip, chipped his teeth...poor kid again...he is always getting hurt. Funny thing is, I have spent the night in the emergency room with all of my kids except Rex. Alivia had stitches twice and Lucy was sick and Jack was sick just this last weekend and had to stay the night at the hospital.)
The water was crystal clear, unfortunately it was kinda breezy, but we still had a good time. We also went to Hyams beach which we have been told has the whitest sand in the world.
Hymas Beach..of course the pic doesn't do the place justice.
We drove down through the Kangaroo Valley...probably one of the most beautiful drives. We stopped at a great look out.
I made my kids fan their beloved mother...then they had a sword fight.
Sussex Inlet
The beach had a ton of huge sea shells...we brought home a great collection. Jeff eating brekky with the kids at the cabin.
(the long white shell looking things Rex called shark tongues. He said he wants to sell them...cute!)
moi, Jeff and Ash sporting our blackish hats
Rex & Jared wore their wet suits and headed into the waves. Rex was awesome on his body board!! He loves it. Jeff had a turn with the wet suit and took Rex out too.
Ahh, all of us on the last night. We miss them...tears have been shed...even today...Lucy cried and told me she wanted Jeff, Ashaaleee and Jamisen to come back. We loved having them with us!!
We took 10 million pics so I made a slide show above with some of our favs. :)














5 comments:
Julie, I loved seeing all the pics and reading your text about Jeff,
Ashley and Jamisen's visit. It was fun to have Jeff come to Monterey this afternoon and spend the evening with us before he starts his training in San Jose tomorrow. He showed us all his photos that he took in Auckland and Australia. It looks like it was a great adventure for them. You and Jared really went all out to show them a wonderful time.
Looks like a blast! We really want to do a Jervis Bay/Kangaroo Valley trip, so I'll have to get all of your suggestions. And we definitely have to get together soon!
awww, I loved your recap of our trip! it was sooo much fun! We definitely had some good/funny times between the nasty burger (if you can call it that), rex's rooster attack, squishing in the van and scouring parklea market for the perfect uggs! and for the record, you are a GREAT tour guide! I enjoyed our long drives around the city. we miss you guys tons already! give the kids hugs and kisses for us. xoxo
Looks so amazingly beautiful. I want to live in Australia!!!
First of all, you weigh like two pounds! I'm like 80% happy for you and 20% jealous that my body didn't get it together that quickly!
Don't you love family visits? Lucky you guys! It probably doesn't hurt that you live in AUS, but still, that plane ride is like 18 years long! Looks like you had a great time!
Post a Comment