(Thanks Collette for the photo) :)
I got to meet these two wonderful people 12 years ago at a Finch family Christmas party. I had only been dating Jared for a few weeks and he brought me to a party where I was able to meet lots and lots of Finches. (and I mean lots and lots...pretty brave and impressive if you ask me) I love big families!
Of course I thought they were all fabulous and so welcoming. Jared's grandparents (Grandpa Vernon & Grandma Kathleen as they are referred to in our family) were there and so wonderful to me and they have been every time I have seen them since that day many years ago. I feel really lucky and grateful to them for showing so much love. I love the stories Jared tells of them. We have many great memories. Some of my memories are...
*Band concerts in the park in Payson where we sit around and talk and sometimes listen to the music, we eat, eat some more, the kids run around and we get eaten by mosquitoes. It is fun to be together. Then we usually head over to G. Vernon & G. Kathleen's house for some homemade ice cream. You leave feeling like you are going to explode because it tastes so good and G. Vernon offers you bowl after bowl and you just can't resist.
{Jared's mom and G. Vernon at the band concert}
*During the holidays G. Vernon would make batch after batch of caramels and sometimes we would go to their house and sit around the table and wrap caramels. Livi and Rex loved it when they were old enough to help. There were always odd pieces that were left on the end and they would be added to a pile and and we would eat them up...once again, too good to pass up.
*One year we went to Fish Lake for the Fish Lake Finch Family Reunion (that is a lot of F's). Jared went out fishing with his dad and G. Vernon. They brought back some fish (I can't remember what kind). I love Salmon and that is about it, I will eat other fish but I don't like it tasting fishy. Well G. Kathleen took that fish, did some magic, with some help from a TON of butter, and it was delicious! Some of the best fish I have tasted.
*Of course we have great memories at the cabin in Payson. It seemed like G. Vernon was always there making it look nice and taking care of it. We loved spending time there playing cards and enjoying the peace that is in the mountains. Jared has great memories spending time there with his Grandpa in the winter as well, snowmobiling.
{baby Alivia with Grandpa Vernon at the cabin}
*He loved green. He always wore green. His house is green, the cabin is green and even the LDS church next to their house is green. I believe his eyes are even green. Jared said as they were all getting ready for the funeral everyone was putting on their green ties. Tender!
*One of my favorite memories was when we would go to the temple and G. Vernon was there working. I loved that he loved the temple so much. We were in many sealing sessions where he was the sealer. It was always extra special for us to be there with him in such a special place. We will always be grateful that he was able to be our sealer when we were married in the Mt. Timpanogas Temple. Certainly an experience we will never forget.
There are so many memories and if Jared were sitting beside me I am sure he would add many more. (He is on a jet plane as we speak...type..heading across the ocean on his way home from the funeral). One of the things I loved most about G. Vernon was how he made you feel when you were around him. He had a quiet, peaceful manner about him. He was thoughtful and generous and we will miss seeing him on our visits to Utah.
{i love this photo. 4 generations Jared's dad, grandfather, Jared & Rex} Sorry about the glare!
We were all sad when we heard he had passed away. I called Jared at work and we had a good cry together. The kids cried, but we also had a good conversation about life...the plan of salvation...and how grateful we are to know that if we live the way we should, then we can see him and all of our loved ones again one day. Death isn't easy, it is hard, whether it be expected or sudden, it is difficult....but it is also peaceful because we know it is going to be OK. It is part of life and thank goodness we have a loving Heavenly Father who loves us so much that he created a plan for us to be a family unit forever!! Sometimes we have to wait a long time to see the ones we love on the other side, but how great will be the reunions. :)
Here is the link (in green of course) to Grandpa Vernon's obituary! He lived a great life!!
Vernon Jay Finch - Obituary, Santaquin, UT - Utah Obituaries | ObitsUtah.com



3 comments:
So sorry to hear. We are thinking of you all.
Wonderful memories! His eyes are green. There were some fun flower arrangements. There was one from the grandchildren, it had a crazy 8 deck of cards in it; there was one from his kids, it had caramels in it; and one from his brothers, it had a fishing pole and some sheet music.
Heaven is the place for him.
I am sorry! That is hard to lose someone you love! Sounds like is was a wonderful man. What a blessing you got to know him.
Post a Comment