Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mystery solved!I


So we celebrated our one year in Idaho anniversary on the 8th. It is hard to believe that an entire year had gone by. We really like it here & are grateful for all of the great people we have met. When we moved here I was 4 months pregnant and very sensitive to smell. It turns out that we lived right by a sugar beet factory. Every morning you would see puffs of stinky clouds coming out of the factory. I don't know if I was extra sensitive to smell or what, but the smell seriously took my breath away. It smelled like burnt peanut butter mixed with something nasty. Well, spring time came and there wasn't as much of the smell in the air. Nothing really during the summer. Just a few weeks ago they starting cranking up the puffs again. I would see trucks & trucks loaded with sugar beets driving down the road. You could also find quite a few straglers that had fallen off the truck. You would find them (and still do) on the side of the road. Well, I inherited a bit of curiosity from my mom. My curiosty was killing me and I wanted to see one of these sugar beets up close. The kids thought it was so funny when I would try & get one. Usually the sugar beets would be on the side of a busy road so I couldn't exactly pull over. They had a bunch random beets inside the factory gate,but Jared convinced me that steeling one from the factory was probably a bad idea, it wasn't worth getting arrested over a sugar beet. haha. But one day I was driving Alivia to school & I saw one. It was a pretty good sized one, just off the road by a fence. I was a little embarrassed because it was by a stop light & there were a lot of people waiting. So I pulled over & pretended to look at my tire and quickly grabbed it. The kids were laughing and wanted to see it. It was bigger than I thought and looked like a huge potato. So now I know what was making that awful smell. After a year, I hardly even flinch at the smell. It is one of the many ways I have adjusted to living in Idaho.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

You are a strange one Julie Finch. I wish I could have driven by and seen you pretending to look at your tire. Totally James Bond. Good detective work!