Friday, April 3, 2009

do not be alarmed!!!


Meet Mr. Huntsman Spider!!! OK, get ready for this one. I will admit that I am pretty dramatic when it comes to spiders. I DO NOT like spiders, big, small, hairy, smooth, poisonous, harmless...I don't like any of them. When we moved to Sydney we heard about the spiders and most people told me that they rarely see a Huntsman, so I wasn't too worried about it. Well, well, well, lucky me was able to meet one of these suckers a few weeks ago. I hesitated posting about this because I was afraid that some people might not want to come & visit us because of the spiders (I am mainly just worried about my sister....maybe she won't read this post).
So let me paint you a little picture. I am quite embarrassed about parts of this story. Here we go....we had just had the missionaries over for dinner. Btw, they brought some salmon over and one of the Elders from New Zealand insisted that it is best eaten raw. After a lot of mental preparation I ate it. We all ate the salmon raw. It actually wasn't too bad. Anyway, I am getting sidetracked. So the missionaries left and the kids were upstairs getting jammies on and getting ready for bed. I went into the garage with Jared to put some things away and we were just talking. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a blob on the wall but I thought it was a clump of grass or something. I got closer and it moved and crawled under a wooden slate. I yelled, and I mean yelled. "OH MY, OH MY.." I couldn't get any words out. Jared was wondering what was wrong and after I got my breath back I told him it was a HUGE spider. I said over and over that it has to die...it can't just hide in the garage. If it would have escaped, I am sad to say that I may have been on the next flight home. Not really, but pretty close. Let me remind you that I HATE spiders. Just then it crawled out and I flipped out. I was in the corner and if the garage floor wasn't so nasty and I wasn't afraid of other things crawling on me I would have been on the floor in the fetal position. It was so huge I wanted to throw up. It was crawling around and could tell that Jared was trying to kill it because it was crouching and moving fast....(time out...I am starting to panic again...deep breaths...) OK, so I am still in the corner and by now I am crying, yes, you heard me, crying!! This is the embarrassing part. I was crying and hyperventilating and yelling. "It has to die, it has to die." It crawled over just above the door to the laundry room and I could hear the kids yelling for me and starting to panic because they couldn't find me. I was so scared that they would open the door and the beast would crawl inside and hide or that it would jump on their faces. I know, I am dramatic. So, with boogie board in hand, Jared quickly smacks it, chopping off some of its legs. It fell to the ground and I think I screamed. I ran inside, wiping tears as I went, and grabbed the camera. I took a pic and just to make me relax a little Jared smashed it again just to be 100% sure it was dead.
I have since learned that they are totally common and like to hide in cars and can be seen quite frequently. And they are even bigger then the one we encountered. So, let's hope that I never see another one again. I would actually welcome the cockroaches by the dozen before I ever want to see one of those in my house. I told Jared that it was a good thing he was there. If I had been alone I may have passed out. Wow, sometimes I can be pretty dramatic. ha ha

8 comments:

Emily said...

Okay, that is one nasty spider! YUCK! I'd be on the lookout in your car now!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Wow, I hate spiders as well and I think that would have been my reaction too. Now your eyes will be wandering at all times looking for the creatures. I hope you never seen another one as well. I am happy you are ok and the creature met his death.
Pam

Emily said...

I would have reacted the same way!!!! That makes me want to throw up!!!!! I really hope you never see another one again either!!!!

Jill Johnson said...

You sound just like me I would react the same way!! I would make JEFF go buy so much bug spray it would make us sick, but the spiders would be DEAD!!! Jeff hates them too, he was bit by a black widow 3 years ago and had to be on IV antibiotics for 4 days!! HATE THEM!!!!!!

C Stevens said...

Yeah! That's gross. Have you ever seen a banana spider? I'm not sure if that is what they are called but they live in banana clusters. Anyway, When curtis worked at smiths produce he found a bunch of dead ones but one day he found one that was alive - he too was bit by a black widdow and had hospital time, he HATES them. He didn't own up to it but I'm sure he did the same thing you did.

Amelia Hohl said...

I told you about the spiders in Australia! I have never wanted to visit that country because it has the most venimous animals and insects in the world. I've never heard of the one you described though. Just be glad you didn't see a funnel web spider! BTW my Henry picks up giant wolf spiders with his bare hands and puts them in his snack baggies. He just picks them up and their huge fangs are just hanging down and he has no fear!

Ang said...

Julie,
I just tried to show Ryan your pics and tell the story to him. He literally yelled at me "Don't show me! Don't!" I guess it must run in your family. He is constantly telling the kids to put on their shoes and watch out for spiders. He cannot handle it. I am sure he would start crying, too, if he heard your story. I am sorry you had to go through that trauma. I am GLAD Jared got it!! In Costa Rica, Ryan went after one with a broom and it disappeared in the cracks of the cupboards....ahhh!
Don't worry, it won't stop us from hopefully one day making the trip out to visit you:-) (Especially since Ryan won't let me tell him the story anyway:-) Love you guys!

Jenny Gardner said...

All I can say is I WOULD have passed out! Yikes, who knows what we'll find in New Zealand!