Friday, April 10, 2009

faith



Twice a year The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has General Conference where the Prophet and other leaders of the church speak to members all over the world. When I was little my family would always watch both Saturday & Sunday sessions together. As a child I remember thinking how long it was but now I am grateful to my parents for being consistent and teaching me the importance of listening to the things the Lord has to say to us. We would sit by the hall so that during the songs we could slither upstairs and sneak some food and then slither back down. Now I really look forward to Conference weekend.

Because of the time difference in Australia we are having our Conference weekend this weekend at the church where there will be DVDs played. Jared has been downloading talks to listen to on the bus so we have been able to catch a few talks before listening to them this weekend. I was so touched by many of the talks, but President Monson's talk Be of good cheer was so incredible. I have a hard time even imagining the sorrow and the hardships that took place for so many people who sacrificed so much. The story about the woman who lost her husband and traveled with her 5 small children across the frozen ground to Germany was so emotional. As I sat there listening to him talk about how she lost each child along the way and only had a kitchen spoon to use to dig a grave for each child, I was so overwhelmed. When she buried her last child, her baby, the spoon was gone and she dug the grave with bare fingers. All I could do was shake my head and cry. I don't know how you would have the strength to keep going and not want to give up. I feel like it would be too much to handle. President spoke about how she prayed and was given the strength to finish the journey. Her faith was so strong. I am very grateful for the faith and example of so many people who have gone before.

I loved how President Monson spoke about how if our faith is strong, nothing can defeat us in this life & how our future is as bright as our faith. I truly believe that. I am grateful for the blessings in my life & grateful to belong to the church.

3 comments:

Mom Schill said...

Julie, I was also touched by Pres. Monson's talk. I know that the Lord gives us strength to endure the challenges that we face in this life. We have to have faith and try to see the eternal perspective as we go through the tough times.

Lacie said...

Those people are amazing, but Julie, you too are such an amazing person!! I always thought you were amazing when you left on your mission, had to come home, and then still went back!! What a faith building experience for those of us little kids that were hearing our parents talk about it, we could see how important the gospel was to you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on conference!!

C Stevens said...

Oh Julie, You made me cry. They are such inspired speakers.