One of the first things people ask us is how we met. So I thought for journal/record sake for the kiddos, I would write a little something, something about that very subject & since last week we celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. Alrighty, let me take you all back, to 1998 to be exact.I am kinda wishing I had some oldie pics to add to the mix here, but they are all at home in the US along with 99% of our wedding pics.
Anyway, we were both attending Utah Valley State College. I was 19, Jared had just turned 23 and was home from his mission and on the hunt for a wife...haha, he wasn't really hunting because well, that just sounds creepy. I was dating a guy that actually served in the same mission with Jared, but not as his companion. During that time I was introduced to Jared at the Orem Institute of Religion and thought he was a nice looking, friendly guy. A few months passed and things ended with the other fellow. (October 1998) J and I had mutual friends so we saw each other often and exchanged awkward conversations (he wasn't so awkward, but I was...a bit stiff you could say). A week or so later we ran into each other and he asked me out for that weekend. I said no...not because I wanted to say no, but because I already had plans to drive up to Rick's College that weekend to see some high school friends. He thought I was blowing him off and felt dumb and once again, we were having our awkward conversation. haha! I really thought he was a great guy and felt like he might not asked me out again since I had said no. So a month passed and I had been talking with some friends who were friends with Jared and they convinced me to ask him out. I did, it was so awkward, it was hilarious, we still laugh about it today, but I did it.
We went out and had a great time (end of November 1998). We went out a few other times, still dating other people and then I went away to Kentucky for a few weeks for Christmas at my sister's house. When I got home he told me he missed me and felt like he could marry me. huh?! Come again?! I wanted to keep dating, but I wasn't ready to get married. So we did just that, we kept dating and having fun. In May I had already made arrangements to do a semester abroad in London with my friends Christy & Stef. I was gone the next 3 months in Europe and he was busy as an EFY counselor that summer all over the US.
When I got home, I met him at the airport and told him that I wanted to date other people. Jared claims that is aka for there is another guy you are interested in. Which was true. I sound horrible and mean, and let's face it, I kinda was. So we dated other people for a few months. October 99 he came to my work one day and old me he thought we shouldn't date anymore. I acted cool with in and then went back to work and had a little cry session. We didn't date each other for a good month or so. We went out with other people. I knew I could marry him, I just couldn't feel like good about the timing of it all and that was frustrating for me. I felt like a mission was in the cards for me, so I preceded to fill mission papers out. Late November 1999, about a year after we first went out, he randomly called me at work and asked if he could take me out. Huh, what, come again!?! A little confused, yet excited, I said of course and we went out. I told him that night that I was submitting my mission papers and although it was hard for him to swallow, he supported me and told me he'd be there in 18 months. I got my call in Dec. 99 but didn't leave until the very end of March 2000.
Although there were times I second guessed the confirmation I got that a mission was what I was supposed to do at that time in my life, I had to trust that whatever was supposed to happen would. We wrote during my mission. He finished school while I was gone and served as Student Body President of Utah Valley State College, and I was able to have great experiences & hard times that made me a stronger person. I feel like the time apart was good for both of us and we were both able to grow in so many ways.
I returned in Sept. 2001 and we were married in the Mt. Timponogas Temple Dec. 29, 2001. I kinda always wanted to have an outdoor reception but after 3 years, I figured it probably best not to tack on 6 more months. :)
Jared picked my mom & I up that morning. He came to the door in his suit and holding a bouquet of flowers for me along with a letter written in his classic tiny handwriting, why he was marrying me and why he loved me. I have kept that little note in my scriptures. It was tender and meant a lot. So I hopped in the back of the Jeep Wrangler & we headed to the temple. Jared's grandpa Finch was able to be our sealer which was really sweet.
It was a crisp, cold wintery day. We had fun celebrating with our family & friends all day. So that is our long story. It has been fun seeing where the last 8 years have taken us and the experiences we have had. We love our babes and are so glad we get to be their mom & dad. We love you Liv, Rex, Lucy & baby peanut! :)
Happy 8 years!!

5 comments:
aww, I love that story. I didn't know that about you guys! Well, you really are the cutest couple ever and your kids are gorgeous. We are excited for you guys and number 4!
I loved reading this! I never knew there was so much time involved! Awesome! I'm glad you got hitched. Now I have like a totally gorgeous model looking person I know that married my cousin!
Oh how I remember those dating days...I'll never forget the roses he sent you in London. I was a little protective of you but after that I thought, this guy might not be so bad. Congratulations on eight years. You two make a wonderful couple!
That is fun! I remember pieces of that story from when I met you and you guys were still dating--it is fun to hear the whole thing put together! He does win an award for patience--but who wouldn't want to wait for you (:
I'm catching up on blogs. Loved this! I love reading how my friends got together with their spouses. Hope you had a wonderful anniversary!
Post a Comment