We decided to check out another beach last week since Jared had a few more days off until he had to be back at work. It was beautiful. It was located in a harbor with a bunch of large boats. Lucy kept getting distracted by every ones stuff on the beach. You can see her in one of the pics trying to swipe someones stuff. This beach didn't have any waves so you could walk out into it. Lately there have been some shark attacks in Sydney and I am freaked out by sharks, so I am always a little cautious in the water. I know it is silly, but I really don't want to be eaten by a shark. We had a fun time until the dark clouds rolled in and we decided to head out.
So we have been here a week and a half now. I think this week has been harder for me, probably because Jared is back at work and I am alone during the day. We have had some great help from people in our ward and the Riley's who are from Utah who live here. They have a pool so we have been enjoying playing in it. A girl in the ward invited us over for dinner on Sunday. She and family are from England. We had a great time. The next day she took me all around to a bunch of stores and showed me all the best places to buy certain things from groceries, to household items to soap. It was so great...my kids were crazy because everything is new to them, but it was nice to have her help. I think everything is just going to get some getting used to. It can be lonely at times when I sit and think about how far away we are and the fact that everything is different, but then I need to remember that it has only been a week and a half, what can I expect. Any advice from those of you that have lived overseas? Or even if you haven't, I would love to hear what you have to say.
13 comments:
Hmmm . . . I certainly have some advice and I don't feel obnoxious sharing it because you asked! I will probably email you though.
Hang in there, girl! I think it is AWESOME that you and your family get to have such an adventure!!
Oh Julie, the only time I have ever lived overseas was on my mission. I don't know if that really counts. However, we did live in Florida and that seemed like an entirely different country to me. We were very far away from family, but at least the food, grocery and things like that were familiar. You are very brave!! I am so glad that you have some wonderful people there to help you out!!
Hey Julie!! Everyone here in Caldwell is thinking about you guys and wish the best for you!!! We all love checking out your blog...mostly to see how you are doing, but also because we are all living out our dreams of going to Australia vicariously through you :) So just remember, however different it is there or if you get lonely, it CAN'T be worse than Caldwell, Idaho!! (haha) Keep in touch!
Julie- we've never lived overseas but we move A LOT, 8 times in 7 years actually. What helps me is to just dive right in, get out and explore, keep yourself busy, go to EVERY church activity you can and initiate friendships. Our first couple of moves I would mope around and think about all the things that I missed about the place we had moved from. It actually made things pretty miserable. But I've learned that I have to be the one to make the best of the situation. It still takes me awhile to feel at home in a new place but not as long as when I hole myself up in my house. You guys have a great opportunity to live there and experience all that Australia has to offer. Good luck and I'm sure that it will start feeling like home soon:)
Jules, (I will just start by apologizing for the long-winded novel I just wrote.)
Maybe I have already said everything and it's just a broken record...but the advice I have that helped when we moved to Costa Rica involves a lot of prayer. And the other part (the part I've not quite mastered) is patience. Maybe this isn't necessary for you - you seen like a pretty patient person to me. I want to be patient, and I think hard times have helped me develop some patience... Moving to Costa Rica felt so much like what you describe. I felt really vulnerable and even panicked at times...(Especially when Ryan was gone and my Spanish was non-existant at that point - unless you count Amigo and Adios:-). But between prayer and patience with Costa Rica, with the people, with the unfamiliarity, with the crying, with the lost feeling, with the loneliness, with the language, with not knowing how to buy anything with the right amount of money, with the worrying about my kids, with everything, I found relief. I didn't want to have patience with dark moments, but when I trusted that it wouldn't always be like this, and that it would go away, I could function better through the hard times. I can look back now and promise, that those things WILL go away fairly SOON. Every once in a while after the initial adjustment, there will be a hard day, or a hard moment, but its short-lived. I think the patience with the hard stuff (okay, sometimes I wasn't patient...and that's where the prayer came in), but I trusted it would get better. People told me it would get better, Heavenly Father assured me I was doing the right thing and that He'd help me, and miracles happened that proved it was getting better. I know it's hard, but I have more faith in your ability to get through this than I did in my own. You make good friends everywhere you go, and your creativity and faith bring beauty to so many people. I am praying for you. I love you...all of us here do. Take care.
I think the best thing to do is o remember this is an adventure! Family will always be there and friends will still be around but the opportunities you guys are going to have in the next years are ONCE IN A LIFETIME! It looks like you guys are already making the most fun...and it is just the beginning. Just making one friend can change your total outlook. You taught me that! It is always easier to give advice from the other side of the wold but I rememberbeing there...my siblngs and I played cards and watched cartoons for an entire summer because we felt so isolated!!! But you adjust. You always do. By the way..are you wearing a bikini in those pics Ms. Julie??? love ya!
Hang in there, Julie. I wish I had some sage advice for you, but I have never lived more than 12 hours from my family. Stay busy and don't be shy about talking to people. They're probably dying to get to know you and your beautiful family.
You'll have to fill in some details on where the shopping is. I'm curious about where you go for all that stuff. Take care!
I love reading about your adventures! If anyone can do it, you guys can!! Keep posting! :)
Jared,
This is your cousin Jeff. Found your sweet blog from Dee and Jills. Can't believe we did not hook up before you took off to the land down under. Shoot me an email when you get a chance. winegar.jeff@gmail.com
your kids have sure grown up fast. Hope your new job is treating you well.
My best advice for you Julie is to keep yourself distracted in visiting EVERYTHING you can! You probably won't live there your entire live so soak it in while you're there! Look on-line for free places to visit or tourist attractions and take your kids with you. If not, hook up with some people in the ward and ask them about some places. It's very likely their may be some mums there who would love to be your friend because of the special lady that you are! I found when I lived overseas (Tonga, Taiwan, Micronesia, etc.) I really had to take the initiative to find people to be my friend and take me to places to visit. In due time you will fit in more and really enjoy the experience! I'll have to admit that I can empathize with you in this being a tough transition. Change is always hard. The neat thing about it all is it seems that with change comes a lot of growth. You really are lucky to be where you are right now. Think about all those people who will never have this opportunity that you are receiving. Something tells me that this is all part of the plan for you, Jared, and your sweet family. What precious, precious times! Big Hugs and prayers coming your way over the sea from me to you! Don't worry about the sharks either. I have a feeling you're going to become an ocean lover! Please keep in touch and know that sure do love ya!
I have insomnia, so if you're ever on facebook... ;)
Also, I want to know where you got that darling tangerine colored swimsuit.
Hey sis I would move to Sydney in a second:) Jayton went on his mission there. Where abouts did you move. He might know the people in your ward/branch:)
Post a Comment