Friday, April 16, 2010

cut to the finger= fainting



Today was interesting!  The kids were playing in the kitchen on the floor making a fence from cardboard.  I was cleaning the bathroom when suddenly Liv comes running in holding her finger.  Apparently she had a part of the fence that needed to be cut with a knife.  Um yeah, we have had the conversation about knives many times.  She had used a butter knife, but happened to almost slice off a chunk of her thumbprint part of her middle finger. 

Me and blood don't jive, so I had her take her hand off her finger so that I could examine the damage.  It looked deep, but I needed to clean it off so I could tell for sure.  Alivia stood at the sink and we washed it out.  Suddenly she went completely white and I thought she was going to throw-up. No, she turned around, her eyes went into the back of her head and she collapsed forward, luckily into my arms.  She was OUT!!  I gently put her down on the floor and her eyes were twitching around and she wasn't responding to me for about 5 seconds (a long 5 seconds, I might add).  When she finally came to, she was all confused of course, still white as a ghost, so I helped her up and over to the couch.  She still had some tissue on the wound.  I was feeling a little tippy myself, I don't know if it was a combo of her fainting and the gash in her finger...who knows, but I called Jared and he asked me if I had looked at the cut, I told him I kind of looked at it.  I needed him to talk to me so that I wasn't the next to be flat on the floor.  I know, I am a wimp... I know exactly where Liv gets her weak stomach. 

So I loaded up on some antibacterial cream and band-aids and fixed her up.  I still don't know if she needs a stitch or two, but we are going to try the 10 band-aids i put on it first.  :)  That is the first time I have seen someone faint..I mean in real life. :)

1 comment:

Mom Schill said...

Julie, I'm sorry you had to go through such an experience. At least it wasn't as bad as when
Beck used a knife. The time with Jeff at the vet's office is the only time I came close to seeing one of my children faint. I'm glad you were able to hold yourself together. I hope Livi doesn't need stitches.