Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trip to Bangalore & Mumbai, India

Jared had a business trip to India this past week.  I would have loved to have gone with him, but I am too far along in my pregnancy...they won't let me on the plane.  Anywho, he had an adventure while there.  This is a picture outside The Royal Orchid Hotel in Bangalore with the doorman.  It was a nice, beautiful hotel in the middle of a lot of poverty & dirt outside.  He told me about the high security to get into the hotel...metal detectors and a full car sweep.


He had a personal driver while there (excellent profile picture, Jared :).  Jared said the streets were absolute chaos.  Nobody stays in their lanes and the main way of communicating is with your horn.



Jared liked the 3 wheeler taxis.  When I was in high school my parents and sister Rebekah lived in India for 4 months and so they were excited for Jared to go there.  Rickshaws were the way to travel when my parents were there, but Jared said he didn't see any while he was there....just tons and tons of scooters and motorbikes whizzing around.


This picture makes me laugh.  Everyone should be in their lane, but as you can see nobody is.  Jared spent a few days in Bangalore and then caught a flight to Mumbai.  Apparently (I heard the story when he got home, luckily, otherwise I would have been worrying my face off.) he and another guy who works at the office there had to catch flights so the driver took both of them to the airport.  Time was tight so the driver was stepping on it.  Jared said it was the most wild ride of his life.  He was going 85 mph weaving through traffic and going into the lanes with oncoming traffic coming, honking to let them know he was there.  Geez, Louise, I probably would have fainted!



He enjoyed his time there, but definitely said that is very dirty.  He was put on a Malaria prescription and also had to get several shots before leaving.  These are some houses along the road.


Cows just roam the streets...

doot, da do...Mr. Cow minding his own business.

Jared was glad he had the chance to go and to experience that country.  He said that Mumbai was much cleaner than Bangalore.  He brought back some fun Indian clothing for the kids.  He also brought me some shirts...they are a tad bit on the tight side right now... :)  He also brought back some traditional Indian clothing for himself.

I love collecting things from different countries, so he also brought me back a really neat (I should take a picture of it) hand carved wooden elephant.  It is so detailed and beautiful.  I love it!

His flight came early Saturday morning so I tried arranging a shuttle for him, but it fell through (long story).  He ended up taking a taxi home and I told the kids and Alivia's response was classic.  She said, "Oh my goodness, are you serious?  I have seen taxis on the road but I have never seen one close up and stop at someones house.  It will be at our house?  I bet it is going to be amazing!!."   Yep, we are pretty easy to please around here...we get pretty excited about little things. :)

2 comments:

Mom Schill said...

Jared,it was fun to see your photos of your trip to India. The 3 wheeled Taxis is what they call motorized rickshaws in Bangalore and Beck and I rode in them to explore different areas of the city while dad was teaching. In other parts of India we also rode in rickshaws that were carts hooked up to bicycles. We never rode in one but in Calcutta we saw the rickshaws that are pulled by only one man. Jared, I'm glad you have experienced the Indian culture.

Mom Schill said...

I love the photo of Livi, Rex and Lucy in their Indian clothes. it is fun how Rex is standing and his expression is hilarious.