Monday, February 6, 2012

Camping in the bush part 2

Here is another picture from our hike along the road.  On the way back we found a short cut path that led down to the field.  It started to rain like crazy just as we hit the grass so we sprinted it and had a race back to the cover area.

Probably one of the favs at the camp was the river.  My kids, especially Rex, couldn't get enough of it.  At first I was freaked out by the idea of the kids floating down a river without 1500 life jackets on.  I imagined this scary fast flowing river that had the power to swallow my kids, but when I walked down to see it I realized that it was alright.  It still scared me and it still had a current but there were lots of adults helping the kids in the water.  I relaxed and let the kids have the time of their life.



{McKenzie & Kesaia}

They almost look like little puppy dogs dog paddling down the river in this picture.

I wish I could capture the pure joy, excitement and yelling that took place when this picture was shot.  Rex loved every minute of it. 

Rex floating along.


The boys would run up the river along the bank about 50 meters and then jump into the water and float down.


We had some excitement one afternoon when a helicopter landed next to our camp.  Two men on kayaks got stuck on the river in some rapid parts and had to be rescued.

Liv asked me to make a silly face...so there you go.

Australia day so there was plenty of Aussie pride going on.

Quick chip break...

Ashton was so good to help look after Lucy.

The boys were in and out of the water for two days.  This time they floated down on a massive log.


Jack was soaking it all in.


Some of the older boys were playing rugby in the water and when they would tackle each other it looked like a crocodile attack was going on.





Rex begging to stay when I told him he needed to come out for lunch.




Lucy with her mates.


Bishop Leota acting as the crocodile for the kids.


He would chase them and they would scream their faces off.



Lucy braving the waters solo and on the look out for the croc.


Rex found a giant sling shot.

Little Miss Luce learned to ride a bike without training wheels.

{i love this photo}



Back and forth and back and forth.




I love camp fires, I love smelling like camp fire and I love the conversations that take place around camp fires.



It was a great camp out.  We loved it and can't wait to go again soon.  Grateful to be in such a great church ward.  

The drive home was beautiful.  I saw this road and the old truck and had to snap a photo.

2 comments:

Mom Schill said...

It was great to see your photos of your ward camp out. Rex was in heaven! It looked like so much fun for everyone. It was neat to see Lucy master the bike riding.

Haley and Lance (but probably just Haley) said...

Wow, what a fun, fun camping trip. That river looks like a blast. I love the shots of Lucy riding her bike - how cute! That last picture of the truck is way cool.