Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Orem High School

I am sitting on my bed listening to Jack swinging back & forth in his swing.  He is completely asleep and Lucy is in her room.  She usually likes to use your little scissors to cut up paper into tiny pieces and scatter it all over her room.  She calls it snow.  I am guessing that she is making "snow" right now...either that or getting into Liv's lip glosses and other goodies...those are her two favorite things to do. ;)  The other day I was in the kitchen making dinner and Lucy came walking in with her little hand on her hip and said,"Mom, are you kidding me?"  She is a crack-up...we love laughing at all the funny things she says.

Anyway, as I was saying..I am sitting here and it is quiet, so I thought I would do a little bloggin'.  Last week  the high school I went to was torn down. People have been posting pictures of the school on facebook...Yeah, I may have swiped a few..if I could have been there I would  have taken my own pics, but obviously I am not and I wanted to post some for memory sake. [i really hope they don't mind] :)


My oldest brother Mike all the way down to my little bro Jeff went to Orem High..all 9 of us, plus my bro in law Carl and sis in law Angela and my niece Aubree who is there now. So you can see why I am a little attached to this school and why I am feeling a little melancholy that it is being replaced by a brand new Orem High. I really loved this school and actually loved high school.
I love the snowy mountains in the background.  This is the front of the school on 400 South (Tiger Way). The LDS Seminary building is on the end towards the mountains and Center Street. (I am detailing these pics so that down the road when my kiddos read my blog they can know where I am talking about.)



The O...and some construction.



Ahh, the driving range.  Some fun memories took place there.  I think my first time there was mainly spent getting out of the car and fetching the cones that I had run over.  hahaha..jk I was a good driver..I may have only clobbered one or two cones.  There is a tower where your instructor watches you and one time I was driving with my friend Jenny White, also my neighbor and friend since birth...we went down the ally part where the instructor can't see you...but was part of the course and on the way back into sight we would step on it and get up to 40mph....I know we were such rebels.  :)


The parking lot. Oh the memories of pulling in and searching for spot and jumping out and running my face off so that I wouldn't be late to Mr. Downs (C7) AP English class....he did NOT tolerate tardies.


The walk from the parking lot to the football stadium.
The auditorium where I watched some of my siblings act in plays or music productions and also where a lot of great assemblies took place.
Gotta have the fight song!  Go OHS!! '97, '97, ninety, ninety, ninety, ninety, '97!!

One of the many halls lined with lockers.  The crazy thing is that I STILL remember the combination to my locker my senior year. Yep, that was 13 years ago. Wow, I feel old typing that. hmmm

Student Government helped make this stained glass window for the gym as part of our Senior Class project so I was able to help create this masterpiece. It was actually pretty fun.

A collection from years and years past.  If I remember right...Orem High first opened in 1953.
Mr. Downs, who I spoke about earlier.  He was one of my favorites.  We had such a great class.  Downs C7 was written on EVERYTHING.  His class was on C hall #7...hence the Downs C7...you get it!  :)

So I was a little sad about the change...Change is often hard for me, but I am happy for the great memories that took place in the Original OHS & for all the friends that were made there. 


P.S. I miss the mountains!

4 comments:

The Coombs Family said...

I had no idea that Orem High was being torn down. How sad. My kids love driving by when we visit Utah to see where mommy and daddy met. I guess that we still have a TON of really great Orem memories. What a school. Hope your doing good...I have no doubts that you area fabulous mommy of four.

Lindsay and Mike said...

I'm sad to see it go. Those pictures brought back a lot of memories! Wow! Crazy!!

Mom Schill said...

Great photos of Orem High! We are getting a brick with OHS engraved on it for you and also you will have your name on the memory wall in the new school. The new school is really nice and is three stories high in some places. i need to go and take some photos of it and send them to you.

Kelli said...

I'm so glad you posted these! It's sad to drive by and see our school being torn down :( I was thinking the other day that I wish I had taken some pictures before they destroyed it, so THANK YOU for sharing these! I might have to steal them for my scrapbook!