Wednesday, March 30, 2011

to the rescue


On Sunday night we went to a fireside at our church building and Heidi Swinton(the woman who wrote President Monson's biography) and her husband spoke to us.  It was fun to hear her stories about the Prophet.  Some were touching and other were quite funny.  We loved it and felt like we could ave listened to her stories all night long.

Back in 1999 my dad took me to a dinner at BYU (he was a professor there) where they were honoring President Hinckley who was the Prophet at the time.  I was in the hall in the Wilkinson's Center when the elevator doors opened and out walked President Hinckley, President Monson and President Faust and their wives.  I was so overwhelmed. I said hello and then President Monson walked over to me and put his hands on my face.  He told me that I looked like a Scandinavian girl.  I told him yes, my ancestors were Scandinavian and he told me that his Francis (his wife) was also a Scandinavian girl.  He gave me a hug and went on his way to the stage for the rest of the meeting.  I remember feeling so special and just honored to be in the presence of the First Presidency of the Church.  An experience I will never forget.

President Monson is such a caring man and I look forward to reading about his life and his experiences.

2 comments:

Lacie said...

wow that sounds like an awesome fireside. I have bought that book and need to prioritize so I can get it read. I cant even imagine the emotion I would have seeing the first presidency!!

Mom Schill said...

Just the other day on the BYU TV channel, I heard Heidi Swinton talk about her experiences of being asked to write Pres. Monson's biography, of writing the book and some of her favorite stories in the book. I also didn't want her talk to end.

I remember that evening when you were so excited to come and tell us you had just seen the first presidency and Pres. Monson had given you a hug! I'm grateful for the opportunity to listen to general conference this weekend.