Friday, July 9, 2010

flashing back to italy

I found these gems on my hard drive.  I took about a bazillion and one pictures on my mission, but they are all film pictures....which mean negatives.  I was in the process of scanning them before we moved, but apparently I didn't get too far because I only have 4 pictures to share. 

This first pic was taken out in front of the Provo Temple on April 15, 2000 ( I know that because it says so on the photo...I am so clever).  I had been in the MTC learning Italiano for 2 whole weeks (basic Italian because it sounded totally different when I actually got to Italy.  I could hardly understand a thing.)

I was in a district with 6 Elders, all going to Milan except one Anziano going to Rome along with my companion, Sorella Tingey.  We had great times in the MTC.  Sorella Tingey is the cute girl in the glasses next to me in the photo. We still keep in touch..she was a great companion & we had many funny times together.

I served in three of the five areas that sisters served in my mission.  Torino, Milano & Bergamo.  When you are riding a bike or a bus and space is limited, you get creative with your methods of hauling stuff home from the grocery store.  TP was strapped on your back for all to see while you cruised through the streets on your bike, in a dress...classic moments is all I can say. 

This pic was taken in my apartment in Milano.  We had four sisters in that apartment.  I was companions with Sorella Solinas.  She was great and taught me a lot.  She was(i guess technically she still is) a native Italian from Sassari, Sardania.  So as you can see the kitchen was also the laundry room.  I am pretty sure dryers don't exist in Italy, or at least I never saw one.
This pic was taken on a cold night.  This is me with my companion Sorella Brough.  We actually served together twice in two cities.  She is such a fun, hilarious person.  She made me laugh and laugh and also taught me great things.  This pic was taken in Collegno,near Switzerland, while waiting for our train.  It snowed that day.  It was exciting.  Side note...when it snowed in Milan, we were all very happy...except for one day some kids were making fun of us (which sometimes happens as a missionary) and they starting throwing snow balls at us...not cool, not cool.  We also had cake thrown at us on the subway...that was lovely!  It is pretty funny to think about now.
I wish I had some more pictures to share.  One day I will scan them all.  I had some great experiences on my mission...hard times and good times.  Great companions... Sorella Tingey, Jex, Bodrero, Brough, Mudrow, Solinas, Gunnuscio & Davis. I also served with some great Anziani (Elders) some goofier than others. ;) I met awesome people and had to learn to step out of my comfort zone.  The experience was one of the hardest things I have done thus far in my life...but a good growing kind of hard. I am grateful for the chance I had to serve in Italy and to represent the Savior.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow! You haven't changed a bit! Do you age at all? What fun, cute pictures! I remember when you left on your mission (we sort of) We were helping Jared get ready to run for SB Pres. Fun times!

We love the Little Rascals and the melt like a popsicle saying is used frequently at our house.

Hope you are all doing great!