
The first day of Spring is always a bitter sweet day for me. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years ago tomorrow that my sister Debbie passed away. Those of you that knew her, knew that she was one of the most caring, kind and compassionate people I have known. Her example has been a strength to me my entire life, but especially these last 10 years. I often wonder what life would be like if she were still with us. I know that she is aware of the things that have happened in my life, my mission, my marriage to Jared, and the birth of each of my babies. And that is comforting to me. For those of you that never got to meet Debbie, I will tell you a little bit about her. She is the third oldest in my family. She was a talented person and always thought about other people. She had many friends because she was a good friend. When I was little I used to sit on the edge of the bathtub and watch her put her make-up on and do her hair & I would ask lots of questions. I am sure I was pretty annoying, but she never made me feel like I was bothering her, A few months after she got married, she was diagnosed with a disease called Scleroderma. Our family hadn't really heard of the disease. At the time Deb was a 2nd grade teacher and she loved her students. The disease progressed quickly and she started to have a hard time using her hands and bending her arms. She also found out that she was expecting a baby. Pretty much every Dr. advised her to have an abortion because the pregnancy would be hard on her body and most likely progress the disease even quicker. She & Dave felt like this baby was a miracle from Heavenly Father. It was a long, hard pregnancy, but Brian was born 2 months premature weighing only 2lbs. 1oz. (He is 12 now). Deb did get sicker and sicker, but she never complained. Her example to me is incredible. She was in pain beyond anything I can imagine, but she still always thought of others and would often ask what she could help me with or what she could do for me. Completely selfless. I was in high school at the time and it was fun to have Dave, Deb & Brian living with us. I felt like Brian was my little brother.
On the first day of Spring, March 20, 1998 Deb passed away at the age of 29. I can say that that experience was the hardest thing I have had to deal with in my life. Losing someone so close to you is heart breaking, but it strengthen my testimony in the Plan of Salvation and it brought my family even closer. You can get through losing someone, but part of you will always miss them. Every family get together you wish she could be there. We miss and love you Deb. "Onward and Upward" is what she would always say. Hopefully one day they will find a cure for Scleroderma. http://www.scleroderma.org/.
7 comments:
I am bawling my guts out! She was a great person and I cant count the amount of times that she offered to help us with things when she was so sick. She was a great example to me and everyone she knew. Great tribute Julie.
Julie I am sorry I did not know! I remember your sister living with you and her little boy. You have great strength it is the hardest thing in the world to loose someone you love,when my mom passed away it was almost like a dream that you just want to wake up from. The best thing is to keep her memory alive so I think that your TRIBUTE is AWESOME!
Love, JILL
Julie,....you are amazing! I never knew this about you. Thank you for sharing of this challenge in your life and for reminding me of the importance of our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and Eternal Families. This story is quite fitting for Easter Week! Big Hugs!
Okay, so now I am crying! I remember how nice and sweet Deb was to me, and I wasn't even her pesky little sister! I know my sister Jenn really misses her.
That was really sweet. You have a lot of the qualities that you say your sister had, so I know she must have been a really great sister just from knowing you.
I remember you mentioning when you spoke in church about what happened to your sister, and I knew then that we had something in common. Losing people we love too early in their lives leaves a void in our lives, but it also teaches us lessons we wouldn't have learned otherwise.
I agree with Maria that your sister sounds like an older version of you. The best tribute you can give your sister is to follow her example, and from the way you describe her, you are doing just that. What a beautiful post. Thank you.
You and I had the same thought. I just got done posting about the day my father passed away and I hadn't looked at your blog in awhile and decided to take a look to find your beautiful entry about Deb. My father and Deb were both incredible people. What a blessing and peace the Gospel brings on bitter, sweet days like these. Emily
Post a Comment