
I am not usually a middle of the night shopper, but I guess it is nice to know it's available if you happened to need it. When we first moved here I had to get used to the idea that pretty much everything closed at 5:30 except for some restaurants and grocery store. One Saturday I went to the mall at 6pm to pick up a few things and the whole place was shut down. I thought maybe it was a holiday, but nope, things just close early. Thursday nights are considered late night shopping and most places stay open until 9pm, but only Thursdays. Now it doesn't bother me so much because I am used to it, but occasionally I will want to go get something on a Saturday night and can't, but oh well..life goes on eh?!

So this was a shocker to me...the cost of going out to a movie. I love going to the movies!! Most of my movie dates were spent at the $1 theater in Provo and I loved it! I really don't mind the sticky floors and the the seats that are disgusting...I can handle it...because it's a $1 and even better is Tuesday nights when a movie is $.50. (I tell people about that here and they think I am joking). Going to the $8.75 movie theater was like...whoa, fancy! Well get a load of this. A movie here costs $17.50 per person!! Yeah you heard me right! Tuesday nights are the cheap nights and movies are only $10 per person. So now you understand why I miss my sticky floor $1 theater.

I love making things. I like thinking of creative things to make for my kids, my house whatever. I miss Roberts Craft and Micheal's. There is one craft store here that I have enjoyed but I miss all the stuff I would always get in the states that I haven't been able to track down here yet.

I am a country music fan and unfortunately I haven't heard much of it on the radio here. I rely on my ipod for my country music fix.

If you haven't been here and pushed one of their trolleys then you are probably wondering why the heck I miss our carts back home. If you have been here and have pushed a trolley here then you know what I posted this pic. The carts here drive me BONKERSSSSS!!! No joke! All four wheels swivel and so so the cart is all over the place...you get that thing loaded down with food and kids and I can barely move it. It is shimming it's way down the aisles sideways. I am not really quite understanding the logic behind the all 4 wheel swivel thing, but man does it get me frustrated. Yesterday I was grocery shopping and I had lil Lucy in the front and I was trying to turn a corner and almost knocked a pile of toilet paper off the display and I said, (under my breath of course hahah), "I hate this cart!" and Lucy looked at me and said,"With all your heart mom?" I laughed out loud because that little sweetie has heard me a time or two say, "I hate this cart with all my heart!" It was so cute hearing it come out of her mouth. Sorry to go off about a silly cart....but FOR REAL!

Moving on to something more pleasant! I really do miss fall in Utah. I missed it when we lived in Idaho too. I suppose wherever you are from and no longer live, you miss and have fond memories of. For me it's the mountains. I loved growing up surrounded by beautiful mountains. I spent many hours in the mountains with family, friends and by myself. The crisp air and the sheer beauty....it just makes me smile. I have hiked Mt. Timpanogas a time or two in my life and although it is a beast of a hike, once you hit the top and look down and see the beautiful valley and the lake, it just feels good and gives you a rejuvenating feeling to life. Nature does that for me.

Although we haven't missed an entire winter in the states, I have a feeling come December when we are boiling, I am going to miss the snow. I really don't like being freezing, but I do love the snow. It's fun and it is beautiful. I love the anticipation of the first snow fall, and when it arrives, I love watching it fall. I remember as a kid I would walk home from my friends house in the winter and of course it got dark at 5pm so I would be walking home in the dark except for the street lamps that were in front of everyones house. It was quiet except for the sound of my boots crunching on the ground. Love it!

I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE, LOVE fall in Utah! The leaves are majestic and so vibrant! Every fall we would take multiple drives up the canyon, stopping along the way for pictures or to collect leaves that had fallen. One our favorite camping spots is located near Squaw Peak. We liked to go camping in September when the leaves are absolutely gorgeous. We always came home with a car full of leaves that the kids had collected.

Yep, BYU football. I love it all. I love walking into the stadium surrounded by people bustling around all hyped and excited. I love the smell & the crispness of the air. I love sitting in the stadium with the mountains around you and watching the game. I think the night games are my fav....everyone is bundled and having a fun time.

Bridal Veil fall is a beautiful water fall and I have many great memories of being there, hiking it and having picnics there. I love that you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city within 10 minutes and be in the canyon enjoying the quiet and slower paced atmosphere. When we lived in Idaho and would drive down to Utah I would always smile when we would turn the corner pass the Point of the Mountain and see Cascade and Mt. Timp and Mt. Nebo in the distance. Ahh, home. Jared's family has a cabin up Payson Canyon and we miss it. The scenery is so soothing and beautiful. I think no matter where we live I will always smile when we go back to Utah and see the familiar mountains...it will always be home. I reckon we all feel that way about the place we grew up or spent the most time as a child.
6 comments:
Great posts Julie... we can totally relate to getting used to all the differences... especially those crazy shopping carts!!! Beyond frustrating :D
Julie, you know I really, really understand about how frustrating those Australian shopping carts are when you try to go up and down the rows in the store. I had the biggest urge to tell the manager to do something to make their carts go in the right direction. I thought the manager would realize something was wrong with his carts when everyone was pushing them sideways! Where did you get all those beautiful photos of Utah? It was great to see all your fun Australian photos. It was neat to read all your text. I'm looking forward to your next post. I noticed I'm writing under dad's account and will lose this comment if I change over to mine. Love, Mom
Julie, I so relate about the shopping carts!!! I refuse to go shopping with the kids for that reason, I always go on the weekends...they are a ridiculous design in my opinion.
I also relate about missing Utah, especially in the winter and fall. It's gorgeous here, but a different gorgeous. Home is home, even if you don't live there anymore.
Okay...one more sound off about the shopping carts. I am new to completely free swiveling, multi-directional wheels, but we are NOT friends!! I seriously yelled to Ryan..."look at me, Ry! Look at this!! I am going completely sideways!!" The cart was going forward completely sideways. I had to use all my strength to stop the cart from smacking into the railing on the way out of the store. AHH!!!
Another wonderful list. We'll think about you when we are sliding across the road in the winter. I can see how you might miss the winder wonderland, getting a hot cup of hot chocolate or wanting to sit by a warm fire. Sometimes I wish winter only lasted for December and part of January. Just enough time to do all of the wintery things.
Julie, thanks so much for the beautiful pictures of Utah! I get the most homesick this time of year, and the pictures were greatly appreciated!
Post a Comment